Friday, April 4, 2008

Plank Wars

I recently started exercising again after taking a few months off due to a slightly tweaked knee. I have discovered that my arms are not very strong. Not very strong at all. It is possible that I could have continued to work my upper body but we won’t get into that. So one evening instead of sitting and watching TV with Mike ALL night long, I decided to institute a new ritual I call Plank Wars. Plank is a pose in yoga that looks a little something like this:


So the premise of the “war” is that we both assume the pose and the first one to break is the loser. Sort of like an arm wrestling match but different. The first night that I instituted our new pastime, we both assumed our positions and after only a few seconds Mike was shaking and looked over at me and said “why aren’t you shaking?” He said it like shaking was the correct way to do the pose so I was clearly doing it wrong. I found this hilarious and had to come out of the pose to sufficiently laugh. So the moral of the story is that even though he lifts weights holding a position like this is a different use of the muscles (isometric versus concentric or eccentric) and lends itself to allowing me to either match his strength or surpass it (ok, we’ll need a few more war practices to reach the “surpass” category).

1 comment:

Krishna Prakash said...

Would like to use the plank pose image in our presentations at authenticyoga.in

Can we?
Regards
Krishna