Friday, May 23, 2008

Oprah is Vegan!

YES! It’s true! Vegans are taking over the world, one world leader at a time! Okay, so the true story is that Oprah has committed to a 21-day “cleanse” that prohibits the consumption of caffeine, sugar, alcohol, gluten and animal products. This is pretty much my daily diet with the exception of an occasional alcoholic beverage (like once a month) and I don’t have a problem with gluten so I eat it but not in truckloads. I have a friend who is gluten intolerant, aka Celiac disease, and she will tell you for days how amazing she feels being off gluten.

Back to the O. She had guest Kathy Freston, author of Quantum Wellness on her show and they discussed conscious eating. And the O decided that she would commit to being a conscious eater. This is what O says about what conscious eating is: “How can you say you're trying to spiritually evolve, without even a thought about what happens to the animals whose lives are sacrificed in the name of gluttony?” My thought on this is why is it cool to eat a pig or a cow but you wouldn’t dream of eating your cat or dog? Animals are animals, they all have eyes, brains, blood, bones, lungs, etc. And come to think of it humans all have those things too which is why we are ALL in the category of mammal. Animal rights is not the reason I made the switch 5 years ago; I did it because I had a horrible diet that consisted mostly of donuts, candy, and pizza. Restricting my diet considerably allowed my taste buds to start enjoying REAL food like beans, avocados, and all other plant based foods that I used to hate and actually found revolting. Now I LOVE them! So most people ask “what do you eat?” Here are two versions of the vegan food pyramid:



Way to go O! You can follow her blog on her website to hear her progress. I can’t wait to hear how she feels after 21 days!

Vegan Food Pyramid

No comments: